Thursday, March 20, 2008

Devotional #1 – God's Word

This Bible study started out of an idea. I wanted to do something for this club, but I didn't know what to do. Then a while ago I thought, "I can do a weekly study on the Ten Commandments!" I wasn't sure what I would say (and to be 100% honest, I'm still not sure what I will be saying), but I knew it could be done.

So I opened up my Bible, and started taking notes on the first three verses on Exodus 20, thinking the first study would be on the First Commandment. However, when I started writing down the ideas, and praying about what to say, I realized that our first devotional wasn't going to go past the first verse, and it reads:

"And God spoke all the words:" (Exodus 20:1, NIV)

Last semester, I took a literature class offered here on the Porterville College campus. In the class, we studied the Bible as a piece of literature, which to me was something I never thought of doing, and I was a little reluctant to take the class. When I read the Bible (which wasn't very much), I wasn't treating it like a normal book, because it was not a normal book. So why should I read it like I'm reading the latest Ted Dekker or Frank Peretti novel, or a classic like "Huckleberry Finn?" So I treated it differently. But honestly, I wasn't sure how I was treating it. I more or less read it because I had to, because everyone who is Christian reads their Bible, right? (at least they’re supposed to) And I wanted to be a good Christian.

But there was no flame! There wasn't a blood pumping feeling I get when I’m reading a fast paced novel, anticipating every twist and turn.

THERE WAS NO PASSION!

Then this class happened, and after the first week, she had us reading through our Bible, and gave us homework, like it was a novel written by some dead guy. I went along anyway and then something happened.

I started getting into it, and I mean REALLY into it; not just reading the stories either. While reading the stories, I would start to see symbolism and meaning that spoke straight to me. I saw character development like I've never seen in any novel! I saw poetry and language that showed me that not only how words can be beautiful, but truly breathtaking. Everything I had ever looked for in a book, I saw in the Bible! Why hadn’t I noticed this before?!

Then I started to realize that the Bible is my favorite book, and not just because that’s what every Christian says, but because I truly fell in love with it!

So I’ve got a question: Do you have a passion for God’s word? Are you reading your Bible as much as your friends think? Have you been reading your Bible as much as you think? Are you enjoying it? I want to challenge you to get that passion. David proclaims his love for God’s Word in Psalm 119: “Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me […] I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word. […] How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” After we find that passion for God’s Word, we can start to find our place in the Story.

When I was a kid, I read “The Boxcar Children” series. I loved the books so much, that I used to imagine meeting them. I thought about going on adventures with them, and what I would do if I was in one of the books. I dreamed once that I found out where they lived. I helped them solve mysteries and played with them in the boxcar in their backyard. I was so caught up in the story it started to become my story.

In the same way, when we read the Bible, we start to find our place in the story. I’m not just talking about imagining ourselves walking with Noah, or fighting alongside David either. The Bible tells a story, but people seem to think the story ends at the book of Revelations. It doesn’t! The Bible is the start of a story that is still being told, where we all play a part, and this story will continue until the end of time. And just like any story, there is a main character; the protagonist in the unfolding drama; the hero who comes to save the day; the one person that the story is all about. So who is this? He is both the writer, and the central figure “The Story."

What I’m getting at is, when we start to read and understand the Bible, we discover who we are to God, and start having a relationship with Him. We then begin to uncover the mysteries of the world, and His story becomes OUR STORY.

So I ask, what is your place in “The Story”? Where do you fit in? What is your role? Are you being a part of God’s story, or are you trying to make Him part of yours?

Think about it.


Scripture for further reading:
Psalm 119. -- David proclaims his love and devotion to God’s word. Every verse talks about God’s law and God’s word.
Seriously! Look it up. It should take you all of 10-15 minutes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You're right about the Bible. The people are very real, very much like me. I need to read it more often. I can learn from their lives.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.

Anonymous said...

The authoritative message :), curiously...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Again a gentle post. Offer your achates

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I inclination not approve on it. I assume polite post. Especially the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the unscathed story.